Aromatherapy Workshop - Level I
Foundations of Aromatherapy for Healing Arts Practitioners - 15 CE hrs.
- History of Aromatherapy from Ancient to Modern Times
- Current Status of Aromatherapy as a Professional Practice
- Appropriate Roles and Uses of Aromatherapy as a Complimentary Modality in Healthcare Setting / Staying within Your Legal Scope of Practice when using Essential Oils
- Definitions and Characteristics of Essential Oils and their roles in the Life Processes of Plants / Basics of Essential Oil Chemistry / How Essential Oils are Extracted
- How to Evaluate the Quality of Essential Oils and Why it Matters
- How Essential Oils Enter the Body and React with the Body's Physiology
- Oral Adminsitration and the Role of First-pass Liver Metabolism (for discussion only); oral use is not taught in the course and should not be used by allied health professionals
- Inhalation (extensive discussion of the olfactory system and its connections with the endocrine and immune systems, as well as the effects of inhaled substances on memory and emotional functioning through olfactory connections with the brain's limbic system)
- Topical Application; how avoidance of first-pass liver metabolism affects the delivery of essential oils to organs and tissues of the body
- Methods of Use / Proper Dilution / Safety Issues and Contraindications / How to select a method of use
- In vegetable oils applied to the skin ("spot" application and full body massage)
- Sitz baths / hand and foot soaks
- Inhalation and the different methods of presenting essential oils for inhalation
- In-depth profiles of 16 essential oils including
- Discussion of how to use Latin names to insure proper identification of a plant and its oil
- Actions of each oil
- The common uses of each oil in healthcare settings;
- Specific safety data and contraindication for each oil
Essential oils covered in Level I:
- Chamomile, Blue
- Chamomile, Roman
- Clary Sage
- Orange, Sweet
- Tea Tree
- Thyme linalol
- Ylang Ylang
Next Aromatherapy Workshop / Aromatherapy Workshop Schedule
All the above essential oils will be provided at the workshop for group use. There is no need to bring essential oils to the workshop but, it is recommended that all students have these oils available for their own use.
If students don't already have these essential oils, they can purchase a kit from Artisan Aromatics: Level I Essential Oil Kit
FYI - Artisan Aromatics offers a 20% discount off the regular price of the kit for students of The Aromatherapy School.
Aromatherapy Workshops - Levels I, II & III
This series of courses offers three sequential levels of training and is designed for massage therapists, nurses and other healing arts practitioners who wish to integrate aromatherapy into their professional practice. It is assumed that students enrolling in these courses have a foundation in basic anatomy and physiology.
A Certificate of Completion will be issued to all who attend both days of a workshop (one certificate per level).
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued to all who attend both days of a workshop and pass a written exam at the end of day two (one certificate per level) .
Licensed health care professionals who have received Certificates of Achievement for all three levels will be given a Certification in Clinical Aromatherapy.
More Info: Aromatherapy Certification
Joie Power, Ph.D.
Dr. Power is a retired board certified neuropsychologist and former Assistant Professor of Surgery/Neurosurgery at the Medical College of Georgia, where she performed intra-operative cortical mapping with renowned neurosurgeon Herman Flanigan, M.D. She has over 20 years of clinical experience in both inpatient and outpatient settings and during her years of practice has also been both a practitioner and student of alternative healing methods, including herbal medicine, aromatherapy, Reiki, Chinese Medicine, and other energetic healing systems. Her extensive formal training and experience in the olfactory and limbic systems of the brain give her a unique qualification for understanding the actions of essential oils in the body. Dr. Power, founder of one of the earliest essential oil companies in the U.S. to specialize in therapeutic quality essential oils, is now a clinical consultant for Artisan Aromatics as well as an internationally known writer and teacher in the fields of aromatherapy and alternative medicine. Her approach to aromatherapy weaves together her solid scientific training and strong clinical skills with a holistic philosophy that honors body, mind and spirit. Dr. Joie Power is also the author of The Quick Study Guide to Aromatherapy and numerous published articles on aromatherapy and related topics.
In addition to teaching courses in aromatherapy for herself and The Aromatherapy School, Dr. Power has presented workshops on aromatherapy and the use of essential oils for the following schools and institutions:
- American Holistic Nurses Association (AHNA), Atlanta Chapter
- Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism
- Botanologos School of Herbal Studies
- Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine
- National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA), S.E. Conference
- North Carolina Center for Health and Wellness, University of NC, Asheville (UNCA)
- Aromatherapy: The Basics - World Health News, v. 2, #4 Winter 1999
- Aromatherapy and Emotions - World Health News, v. 2, #2 1998
- Aromatherapy and the SARS Virus - for Dreaming Earth Botanicals, LLC
- Aromatherapy for Immunity - New Life Journal, March 2006
- Aromatherapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - World Health News, v. 2, #1 Winter 1998
- Essential Oil Quality - for Dreaming Earth Botanicals, LLC
- Gas Chromatography: A Basic Explanation - for Dreaming Earth Botanicals, LLC
Aromatherapy School Contact Info
Dr. Joie Power
The Aromatherapy School
58 Reed Road
Fairview NC 28730
Note: We use above graphic to protect our email address from spambots.
EcomGreen LLC: our management company
Keep up with what's going on at The Aromatherapy School and receive interesting articles on Aromatherapy and Essential Oils.
Sign up for The Aromatherapy School Newsletter: Subscribe
Contact us |
Next Workshop |
Consult Services |
Workshop Schedule |
Aromatherapy Articles |
Aromatherapy Newsletters |
Essential Oils & Aromatherapy Products |
Site Map by xml-sitemaps.com |
We Recommend Artisan Aromatic's Essential Oils |
Online Aromatherapy Courses